Captain Aaron Peer founded Grindstone City as a company with the quarry operations in 1834. The fine stone was used in the pavement of Woodward and Jefferson Avenues in Detroit. In 1836 he made his claim of 400 acres of land, which included the stone quarries, and in that year made the first grindstone, and established the works to prosecute the business. He brought with him the necessary help and facilities and shipped the products to Chicago and other points. The mills now standing also contain machinery for the manufacture of whetstones, which is of the most improved character. He employed about 40 men when conducting the works himself. They have been rented since 1881, the lease running until 1891.